Monday, December 13, 2010

It's Beginning To Feel A Lot Like Christmas...

Anyone who knows me knows that I am NOT a morning person. I am a night owl through and though. Always have been. And I have always managed to function on very little sleep since the day doesn't typically start around 10 AM as I would like it to. So when I have jet lag, I am desperately trying to stay awake in the evenings past 6 PM and my eyes unwillingly pop open at 4 AM. It takes about a week for me to really get over the time change, but this go around, I am doing my best to keep on an "early-to-bed-early-to-rise" schedule. Cross my fingers that this works because I am a BIG fan of the snooze button!

The Christmas "season" is definitely relative to where you live. In the states, there is such anticipation for Christmas as soon as Thanksgiving is over. Here, there is not the same build-up and you can almost forget what time of year it is...not to mention that it is nearly 90 degrees!! So I am grateful to be living in a family with another American who loves the Christmas season too. A few days ago, we listened to Christmas music non-stop, decorated the tree and I even made cookies.


I was especially impressed with these...

not completely sure what the name of the cookie is, but they are definitely good!! I even made the frosting from scratch. yum!

This weekend was the church's Christmas outreach programs...and talk about reaching the multitudes. I would say on average, a Sunday service has about 150 to 200 people. Today, there was 600!!! And the children's program on Friday afternoon had about 800!!! These numbers are unprecedented! With the kids, they were pretty much packed into the sanctuary like little sardines...not even standing room available anymore.

The outreach today was an all day affair. The service started at 8:30 am and for the next few hours, there were skits, dances, singing, and preaching. Because the church rented a hall typically used for weddings, we sat at tables and as the service ended, they brought out the food!

This says "Su-suh-die Noel" which means "merry Christmas"

This is the worship team...I love the color coordination they have going here.

This is a look from the back of the hall. It was nearly impossible to get a really good picture to show how many people.


"Round two" of the outreach was back at the church with a few more songs, a little more preaching and lots of games. And no party would be complete around here without dancing. Cambodians LOVE to have dance parties!! I, however, am not much of a dancer. So it is always amusing...maybe comical is a better word...when these evenings come around.

Please keep praying that I learn the language quickly...and that I am bold enough to speak and make mistakes. I understand a little here and there and realize that I remember things as I hear someone speak. I keep a notebook with me and jot down words that I learn. I can pick up a lot in context, but I still feel relatively lost. I know it will come.

2 comments:

Richard Cambodia said...

Wow. It's awesome. Great pictures.
Happy Merry Christmas!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Heather, Loved the pictures! Will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs! Angie