Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Home Away From Home

Nothing will ever replace America in my mind and heart. I love where I am from. There are a lot of people that I love there. A lot of comforts and idiosyncrasies that I only notice because I miss them.

But I also love that from the moment I step foot off the plane in Cambodia, it feels like home too. Sure, I don't understand everything going on around me and I have to relearn the language and some cultural tendencies, but there is a sigh of relief in my heart. I am "home."

I got into Phnom Penh, the capital and city where I am living, safe and sound around 11 pm on Friday night. Going to the airport is a big deal here so I was not surprised to see a welcoming committee outside waiting for me. I am not sure I can adequately describe all that is going through my mind right now...a mixture of newness and things familiar to me, being quickly reminded of many of the things that I love about this place.

I am really enjoying my new home. I live with the Pastor and his family and am very blessed to have a room with a separate bathroom and air conditioning. I am not sure that one of those things outweighs the other! Here are some pictures:

I live in the one on the right with the blue tarp...

Still needs a little decorating help...

and a bed frame...

SO SO SO grateful for such a nice bathroom!!!

1 comment:

erin said...

wow! it's so pretty! glad you got there safe and sound!!