Sunday, September 14, 2008

Getting Started...

Brittany and I met with the Pastor and his wife a couple days ago and were able to share more with them about the vision we have for our six months here.  The meeting couldn't have gone better.

We are wanting to start a missions program at the church.  I had spoken to the pastor briefly about this before I left earlier this year, but didn't realize the extent that this is a huge part of his personal and corporate vision for the church.  It was really exciting to see the meshing of ideas and goals...and to know that we all seem to be on the same page.  So here are a few things that we are working on....

October will be the beginning of a 10-week missions course that will meet a few times a week, both for lecture/teaching times, training on how to share their faith with others, as well as local community outreaches.  One of the locations for outreach will be Aspeca, the orphanage that we worked with in January and February.  I will continue to keep you updated as we prepare the curriculum for this course.  

We will also be helping to teach English lessons, both for high school/college age students and preschool students.  I know this seems like quite a stretch in ages, but they really believe that knowing English is a key to the future of their country so there is a focus on this generation getting into the "workplace" as well as training the younger ones to have a head start on it all.

Please be praying for us as we plan the missions course and recruit students.  There is already a great interest in it!  

Also please pray that I will start picking up some of the language.  I have learned a few words here and there...and remember a few from my first trip.  Most of the people want to practice their English with me, but I really want to have a relatively decent vocabulary and be able to have simple conversations in Khmer.  It's not a latin-based language and they have completely different symbols for letters, so that does not help in making it easy.  Just means I have to try harder...

No comments: