Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Day one over!

It has been a long day and I am glad to be out of the car. Alicia and I left LA early this morning, after I only slept about 2 hours. Saying good bye was hard, but I don't think it has all hit me yet. It probably will my first night sleeping in my new bed in North Carolina.

We are in Albuquerque right now in a hotel. Originally we were going to stay at a hostel...until we got there. We didn't really feel safe and parking was sketchy. I didn't like the idea of having all my stuff in my car. So we left the hostel and went to 2 hotels before finding this one. It's not that much more than the hostel and the extra $20 makes me feel safe, so it is worth it.

The drive was pretty good. My 4 cylinder car longs for flat roads and I finally decided after 5 1/2 years what to name the car (because nothing really stuck or seemed to suit very well)...her name is Eileen ...and every time we are creeping up the hill, I start to sing (in my head and sometimes out loud) "Come on Eileen" the oldies song. It took longer to get here than we thought it would because of the mass amounts of hills to climb, rain, traffic and accidents -- we saw 4 truck accidents in the span of 50 miles and one of them happened right in front of us...a truck blew a tire and the metal seal from the tire just barely missed hitting my car and when he swerved off the road, he went right in front of me and barely missed me as well. not exactly exciting, but very grateful that all went well.

My car (other than fighting up the hills) is doing great with gas mileage...definitely a HUGE plus!

We are setting out early again tomorrow morning and heading to Little Rock. we are hoping for only a 12 hour day rather than the 15 hour day that we had today.

There will be pictures coming

3 comments:

Evan and Allison said...

thanks for the update... BE SAFE!

Karisse said...

Are you THERE yet? =)

Andrea said...

you can do it...it will be over sooner than you think!