Monday, August 29, 2011

Only in Cambodia...

I would venture to say that the phrase "Only in Cambodia" comes out of my mouth at least once a day, if not more. There are lots of things that make me smile...poorly translated signs, old traditions meeting the modern world, traffic (which makes me want to scream more than it makes me want to smile). Part of the "charm" lies in the fact that they are things so different from what I would find anywhere outside of Cambodia. I have found, though, that humor doesn't always translate so well and it is difficult in those moments to explain to my Khmer friends why I must stop to take pictures...so I am going to begin sharing those pictures with you, hoping that someone else will share in my idea of humor. Here are two signs that I have seen recently:

I have not actually been inside this convenient store so I can't compare the quality of slushies (if they even have them here), but I must say 6-11 doesn't have the same ring to it...

Exact translation is not always the most effective way to communicate...but at least you don't wonder what the purpose of the organization is...


1 comment:

Karisse said...

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...