Friday, August 05, 2011

Outreach Continued...

The rain held back and we went forth on day two of our trip to the province.

Again we broke into small groups, walking around different villages and talking to people at their houses. As we sat and shared with them the reason for our hope, everyone seems very receptive. We even met a little old grandpa who had been a Christian for years...one of the very few in the area. Here is one of my students, Srey Rath, speaking with a lovely woman in the village:

At the last house that my group visited, the Christian grandpa came strolling up just after we had all sat down. He told these people that he has known for years that he believed in Jesus. The response from the house owner floored me. He looked at the grandpa and said "You've known about Jesus for so long. Why have you never told us?"

Wow.

Not what I expected to hear. This statement was not intended to be accusatory at all, nor do I think that anyone took it that way, but it was one of the most honest questions I have ever heard. He was really amazed that he had never heard from his friend. What happened next touched my heart a great deal. The grandpa began to share his faith and tell the story of God, right from the very beginning of the world. My students and I just sat and listened and never spoke a word of what we believed...it was the grandpa's turn. And my heart was rejoicing!

Here was a man who had the boldness to share his faith partly because he had seen us doing the same thing. He followed our example. And if you read my post from Friday, you will see that I think that was a pattern lesson that God was wanting to teach me...and my team. That we can become leaders even without knowing it. We can influence without setting out with that exact intention. And my prayer is that he will continue to walk in confidence to speak to others in the village, answering their questions and pointing them to the truth of Jesus.

And no trip would be complete without a children's program! By the afternoon, the clouds broke and the rain put a bit of a damper on part of our plans, but it was still amazing.

And who doesn't have fun with random balloon games. Here they have to try and break all three balloons first and for the little ones, this proves rather difficult...and with no shortage of funny faces!

This is the classic "Pharaoh Pharaoh" song with actions. They loved it...though I am not sure who more...the students or the kids!

Thank you for all your prayers for the trip and for the Harvesters as they serve God in Cambodia!

No comments: