Saturday, August 27, 2011

Chocolate Mousse? Don't Mind If I Do...


I was invited to a proper "high tea" yesterday and this is something that I could get used to...but at the same time, I am also glad it is a beautifully rare treat. There is a ministry here in Phnom Penh that runs a lovely little tea room serving very good finger foods and arguably some of the best desserts.



This is me and Jenny. I live with her and her family. She has been living in Cambodia for 15 years now and is married to the pastor of the church where I work. I am very blessed to have her in my life! She has a unique perspective in understanding some of the idiosyncrasies of the Khmer culture, understanding and communicating in the Khmer language, and yet still innately looking at the world through an American perspective as I do.

At each of the plates, there were these rolled up pieces of paper with a quote on them. The owner prayed about what things to give us and then "randomly" placed them on the tables and we "randomly" sat down. This was the one that I got:

"God is with us in the midst of our daily, routine lives. In the middle of cleaning the house or driving somewhere in the car...Often it is in the middle of the most mundane task that He lets us know He is there with us. We realize, then, that there can be no 'ordinary' moments for people who live their lives with Jesus." (Michael Card)

I LOVE it...there are no ordinary moments. I read this and knew there was nothing "random" about it. This was a word directly to my heart...a reminder that I am in need of quite often...that God is in the midst of my life and is always there with me. There are moments when I feel like my "foreigner-ness" stands out more and in those times, I know that God is gently reminding me that He is the one who in fact made me NOT Khmer, but American. He made me white, not brown. He made English my native tongue, not Khmer. He put me in a family that raised me with a knowledge of and love for God, not the Buddhist traditions. All of these differences, and SOOO many more, set me apart in the world that I am living in. Sometimes those differences seem to fade away. And other times, well, they seem to be pointed out with big, blinking neon signs. But it is also in those differences that lie the amazing nature of God's heart and love for Cambodia and how He has imparted that to me. He imparted faith and hope so that I could share with those in Cambodia. He gave me a perspective that believes, not just for survival, but for abundant life. He made me to shine, not just because my skin is so white in a sea of beautiful brown hues, but to shine His light, His love, His presence inside of me. It is because I am different that I am here. He wanted me to BE the difference...and MAKE a difference...in Cambodia. And to that, I also say "Don't mind if I do...or am..."

I love that this is my life. It was a great way to spend a Friday evening, with good friends, lots of laughs, sweet reminders from God and, of course, the food.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and will keep the link close so that I can see more what happens in your life. I think that you are in the right place and that God is using you in so many ways. Living and working with the cambodian people I know that you will do more then you ever dreamed of. I really believe that you already are doing these things now. I miss you so much and I'm very proud of you like I have said in the past and pray for you everyday. Oh the 6-11 is very funny and I think that you should go in and see if they have slushies....lol...a good laugh you gave me :)
Love you so much, Tiffany xoxoxo!!!!