Saturday, January 29, 2011

Worth A Thousand Words

I am a journaler....although I am pretty sure that is not an actual word, seeing as how the dreaded red-dotted line comes up underneath it. I love to journal...I always have. I love to look back and see where I was before and what was happening in my life...and hopefully see some progress.

This year, I am not only writing in a journal, but I am documenting each day with a picture. It's called the 365 Project. Some are random...ok, most are random...but they all have some sort of correlation to what happened that day. I don't think I am going to post each one, especially since there are 28 of them up to this point, but I am going be putting a few of my favorites up here. A few have them have already shown up in previous posts...

1/364...new year, new bed, new hopes
I bought a new bed today. A big bed. And as I look at, something inside of me says "You're a grown up now." I have always slept in a twin-sized bed, all of which have been given to me by someone else. Kinda sad, as a 30-year-old, that I have never actually purchased a bed for myself. Not only is the size of the bed significant for me, there was a feeling of settling down in my new home. A sense of something great to come. Who knew a bed could say so much.

3/362...reflection

from the back of a tuk tuk on the way home from the market in Phnom Penh. If you look carefully, you can see me in the arm rest reflection. So much chaos going on and you’re never quite sure which way to look…or whether it is better just to close your eyes and not look at all.

11/354...got it covered

This is what I looked like as I trekked it to the church this afternoon. The glasses not only protect my little eyes from the sun, but they double as dust deflectors. And today was the first day that I added a mask to the get up. There is A LOT of dust and exhaust fumes and not-so-pleasant smells blowing around as I walk down the street. I feel bad, though, because when people smile and wave or say hello, they can not see me smiling back.

20/345...inhabit my praises
Psalm 22:3 says that the Lord inhabits the praises of His people and that was my prayer today. I really wish I could play guitar so that I could have personal times of worship with music...but I can't, so I made a playlist.

22/243...the surprise inside

Many people could tell testify that I am what you might call a "picky eater"...ok, a very picky eater. I have definitely gotten better over the years as I have been traveling. I still shock my family with what I will actually eat now. And I am in the school of thought that says you can eat just about anything with a smile (or at least not making a face) because you care enough to honor the person who is giving it to you. So when this was handed to me in the village, I smiled and opened it. I was grateful that I have actually eaten one of these before but the first time I had to force myself to try it. It is sticky rice with banana in the middle, wrapped and cooked in a banana leaf. I am not a fan of bananas (that is putting it mildly). This, however, doesn’t taste like banana and so I can eat it.

23/242...gone are the days

I miss being called hovde on a regular basis. I am now called headueh(r), a little known variation of Heather. I know the “th” sound is difficult for them and apparently so is the “er” at the end. The kids I live with call me hovde about half the time and I love it.

27/238...old rugged

The lesson today for the Harvesters was on sin, the cross and repentance. We had a time at the end where they could respond to the Holy Spirit and repent of anything that is keeping them from a right relationship with God…anything that would hinder God’s work in their lives as His beloved and as His witness to the world. I am excited for where God is going to take this class and what He is going to do in each one.

1 comment:

Amy Reece Spahr said...

love the bed!