Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Ringing in the New Year...

On my birthday, it was cake frosting smeared on my face.

On day 201, it was watercolor paints that I was unexpectedly painted with.

On New Year's Eve, it was the black soot from the bottom of a pot.

The first few spots were "given" to my friend Eileen and I because we said no to dancing. I say no more as a "gift" to the art of dancing and to those that might happen to catch sight of me...I am the whitest girl ever! My legs and my dancing prove it. I weighed the options and decided that a little soot would be better than trying to dance. We did make an attempt to get the guys back, filling our hands with the soot ourselves only to be "defeated" and have our faces covered! I did manage to get some soot on them, though, so it was not totally a waste...One of my goals for 2012 is to not have my face smeared with random things, but I am pretty sure that is not gonna happen...

I do have other, more "serious" goals for this new year. I have never really been one for resolutions because I always manage to break them shortly after making them. But dreams and desires and hopes...well, I have those. Some of them are big. Some are kinda silly. Some are deep heart cries.

I want to speak Khmer. I am praying for confidence to speak what I knew even if I sound like a fool. I am not so good at looking or sounding foolish
...so here's to letting loose and having no fear.

I want to grow in grace, but also in truth and authority. They seem like opposites, but they have to co-exist in perfect measure because that is how they are in God's character
...so here's to the challenges and circumstances that will teach me.

I want to develop new relationships and strengthen old relationships that glorify God. There is so much wrapped up in that hope
...so here's to honesty, vulnerability and having fun!

I want to make healthy, wise decisions for my mind, body and spirit
...so here's to my will and self-control.

I have big expectations for 2012. At the end of the first day, I fell asleep with joy in my heart and gratitude for the life I am living. It is early on day 3 now, but already it's been good.

...so here's to 363 more!"

No comments: