Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Waldo and a Rice Field...

I must say my Khmer language skills could be much better...or better yet they should be much better...but I am not completely lost. So when I was walking through the bookstore last week, I totally understood the conversation the workers were having. It went something like this:
A: "Did you see her? Come here. Look!"
B: "Wow! She has really white legs" (...I was wearing a skirt...)
A: "Yes, REALLY white legs!"
B: "So white."
I wish I was exaggerating, but alas, I am not. Nor were they exaggerating on the glowing whiteness of my legs...unfortunately. But they all want white skin here, which for the life of me I don't understand. I would rather have their beautiful, brown skin. When I am in pictures with people, there is never a challenge to find me. It is like the opposite of "Where's Waldo?" I pretty much stand out. With that said, you understand why I kinda laughed when I saw this picture from the most recent Harvesters outreach... {Oh, the white legs! Do you see me?}
All joking aside, though, I did smile when I saw this picture. We were walking around the village and stopping at different houses to talk to people. When we got here, we were told that the lady who lived there was out back...so we went to find her...working in the rice field.
One of the highlights of this group I was working with was their willingness to do whatever was needed with no hesitation to serve and love. Without being prompted in anyway, they all got down and started helping her pick the rice shoots to transplant them. I don't fully understand the entire rice growing process, but I do know they plant it, then transplant it into water and then harvest it again later once the rice has actually grown. The students knew the only way they were going to get to share truth and love with this woman was to help her in the field. And they did it willingly. It opened a door for them to talk with her and show the love of Christ in such a real, practical way.
I had to get a quick crash course in what to do, but I was happy to participate. Granted, I didn't last as long as they did since my (white) legs are not used to the famous Khmer squatting position that they all find so natural and simple. But I did what I could.
Below is one of the woman's daughters that was also out in the field. Something about this picture kinda grabs my heart.
The irony of the situation did not pass by me. Here are the Harvesters helping with the harvest. I love it. I love that this is my "job"...I love that this is my life!

[I am also grateful for the wonderful, photographic eye that my friend, Seyha, has. He is the one that took all these pictures.]

1 comment:

Karisse said...

Was laughing as I read the "white legs" part. I was telling my roomie about it and she said: "It's like she's waldo!" ha ha. :)