Monday, February 06, 2012

New Vocabulary...

This is a nail.
Nails belong in wood.
Nails do NOT belong in my car tire.

This evening while I was teaching my English class, one of my friends poked her cute little head in the door and called me to come outside. This is pretty abnormal and I was a little concerned by the look on her face, so I excused myself from the class for a minute to find out what was wrong. Here is sorta how the conversation went.

Dina: "Your car. Biy gong. You know?"
Heather (with a very confused face): "I'm sorry. What?"
{I should mention that "gong" is the word for bike, thus the confusion to have it in reference to my car}
Dina: "Your car. gong."
{repeat the first couple lines a few times}
Heather: "Something about a bike and my car, but I don't understand. A bike hit my car?"
Dina: "Yes."
Heather: "Is someone hurt? Is my car ok?"
Dina: "No, your car is not ok."

At this point, I am kinda at a loss because I have no idea how a bike could hit and damage my car...it was parked and should have been ok where it was. I told her I needed to finish my class and I would come down soon. The whole next 30 minutes, all I could think about was my car and confused as to how this all played out downstairs. When I ended class, I was met by a number of different people, all trying to speak Khmer to me {another reminder that I HAVE to learn this language!!} and explain to me what happen. I am sure I had one of the most confused faces ever seen because they would stop me about every 5 feet to say something else about it...and then someone else would come up and try to explain more. I kept saying that I just needed to get out of the gate so I could see what had happened. As I walked up to my car, I saw that my front tire was flat.

{{Insert MORE confusion!!}}

I kept asking over and over again, "How does a bike do this? Who was riding the bike? Where did they go? How did it deflate my tire? I don't understand." My questions were not really given any answers that made sense to me...they just kept saying something about "biy kgong"...biy means three...so now there wasn't just one bike but three bikes that made my tire go flat!!  Needless to say I was pretty well confused.  They were looking at me pretty confused too. At some point in the madness, a thought dawned on me that maybe I wasn't understanding the Khmer words. I think they had the same realization at the same time. One of them pointed at the tire and said "gong" and a light went on over my head.

The word for tire is also (inconveniently) "gong" as well!!

There were not three bikes. There wasn't even one bike involved. It was the silly little nail pictured above.  I also learned that she wasn't saying "biy" but "biyk" and the k at the end of words is a very soft sound so to my American ear, I didn't hear the "k" at all. "Biyk" means broken. So she was telling me that my car had a broken tire.

Clearly.

I wish I could say that this was the end of the excitement, but it was just the beginning of the next wave. At this point, I discover that my car doesn't have a jack. Problem #1. I also discovered that most people around here don't know how to change a car tire. Problem #2. They all have "gongs" (actual bikes) and motorbikes. Not cars. At one point, I counted 14 people trying to help change my tire. There were even passerby's that were stopping to see the show. The whole process took a very long time. Then the power at the church and the street and the whole surrounding area went out. Problem #17. {I realize I skipped #3 thru #16, but trust me, they were there.} We were then completely dependent on the lights from our cell phones!!

This was one of the more "entertaining and interesting" nights in a "Oh-Cambodia-how-I-love-thee" kind of way.

I do love that I had so many people willing and able to help me.
I love that I learned the words for broken and tire.
I love the laughs that we had when we figured out the miscommunication.
And as I have said before, I love a good story.

2 comments:

Karisse said...

I'm sorry! I just had a mental image of your body language and facial expressions as person after person came up to you to tell you something was wrong with your car...or the three bikes...or the broken nail in the tire...I give up.

Rita McCall said...

Biyk Gong! :) Your experience is proof that even teachers need to learn - learning is a continuous process. Hmm..it would have been quicker for you to get what Dina was saying if you had an interpreter with you (or at least someone who knows a little bit of their language). How nice of those 14 people to help you. BTW, why don’t you have a jack in your car?