Monday, April 04, 2011

Four Months

Today is the four month mark of how long I have been here in Cambodia. It is hard to believe sometimes that it has been that long, or short depending on how I look at it!

Life is definitely getting busier in some aspects for me. I am beginning to do a few things in the administrative area here, which is probably not surprising to anyone that knows me. The only surprise is that it has taken this long!

Next week is Khmer New Year, which is the biggest holiday in Cambodia by far. If I had to compare it to something, it would be on about the same level as Christmas for us in America. Everyone travels to see family. Schools shut down. Stores shut down. From what I understand, Phnom Penh becomes a pretty deserted place. The actual holiday is only from the 14th to the 16th, but there is already a noticeable drop in student attendance for my English class. So much so that I don't think I am really going to be teaching any new material this next week because I would just have to teach it again later so that they are all on the same page. I am grateful, then, that the other teachers are wanting to play the traditional Khmer games this week with their classes and you can bet that I will be bringing my class along to join!

I am not by any means a professional English teacher and there are some days (especially grammar days) when I feel almost ill-qualified to teach. But the fact that it is my native language, that makes me "qualified." The school here is not just to equip the students with "marketable" skills such as English and computer, but it is also to share Jesus with them. On average, I have about 30 students in my class. Some are already believers and attend the church. Some are not. But they are loved all the same. And my struggles with grammar are worth it when I am able to watch one of my students accept Jesus!!

Punlock has been in my class for the last 2 months and like all of my students, I have been praying for him. Two weeks ago, there was a huge event for our church...a meeting of all the New Life Fellowship churches around the country. I saw a couple of my students there, all of which were already members of the church. But at the invitation at the end of the Sunday service, I saw Punlock out of the corner of my eye walking down to the front to accept Jesus!! In the last two week, I have been able to give him a Bible and he is now going to be a part of my cell group. I couldn't be more excited for Punlock and this new adventure he is on with God.

No comments: