Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Missing a Milestone



I love this girl! And it hurts my heart that I am so far away from her on her birthday. For those that don't know, this is my youngest sister, Maurine. And today she turns 10.

I love that God has asked me to be in Cambodia and that He has blessed me with such joy at my life here. But it has not come without sacrifice. Being with this amazing kid...that is one of the biggest sacrifices I had to make. Sure, I miss the rest of my family and friends, but talking to them and catching up over emails is not that difficult (as long as we all actually write). Not quite so easy with kids. One of the perks of moving from Los Angeles back to the east coast was that I would get to see her more than twice a year. That worked great for the two years I lived in North Carolina. But here I am now, on the other side of the world, missing her like crazy.

God has a way of teaching me through the lives and actions of kids and that is certainly true of Maurine. I have seen His compassion and love through her eyes. And while I could fill this blog every day with stories about her, it would still not be enough to put into words how much I love her.

Happy Birthday, Emmy (my nickname for her)....! I love you so much! Save a piece of cake for me and we will celebrate in March when I get home.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

happy birthday to Maurine! "Single Digets are so last year!" praying for you!

xoxoxox...vickie