Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Flood Update

Yes, folks, it is still flooded here in Phnom Penh Thmey...especially on our road. It's only 1/4 of a mile from my house to the church and that is the worst part! The water at some points has reached past my knees. Traffic is mostly on foot now since the small motorcycles get water in the engines and the cars don't try forging the river unless they are 4x4 vehicles. About halfway between the church and my house is a mattress factory. Up until last week, the trucks were still going back and forth like normal. But with the water as high as it is now, they have come up with some creative ways to keep business going without risking their trucks being weighed down too much by the mattress.



They rigged a raft out of barrels and they float the mattress down to the end of the street and then load the trucks up.

And yesterday, I saw this alternate mode of transportation.



You have to look closely, but what you are seeing is an bathtub boat. I am not sure if they are transporting goods from one end of the street to the other or if it is just to keep dry, but I wish I had a spare bathtub to use myself.

1 comment:

Amy Reece Spahr said...

thank God for those rain boots!!!