Thursday, April 27, 2006

Alive and Kicking...

I am really enjoying my time here and love the bush of africa. The team has been busy every day working with the Waterberg Welfare Society on an AIDS hospice, gardening the grounds and putting in a path for the ambulance. There are tons of kids to play with here in S. Africa so they are working with them in the afternoons, playing games and hanging out. There is also a soup kitchen they volunteer with each wednesday.

The community is building a youth center where children and teens can hang out. It is a place where they can go to get off the streets and hopefully stay out of trouble. They are short on funding, though, so the team is taking part in a "mountain bike challenge" on May 6 to raise money. All in all the team is great.

I spend my days with Avery and have already read all but one of the books I brought with me on the trip! Avery and I have tons of quality time together. Despite Avery's fabulous "tarzan" impressions I do love the "grown-up" conversation I get when the team gets back each night. =)

The animals don't seem as plentiful as they were before, but i have seen ostriches running on the side of the road. That's a crazy site!

Please keep me in your prayers and be praying for the team and the ministry they are doing as well.

Mucho thanks goes out to my longtime pal Karisse who typed this blog out for me. She is wonderful and fabulous. I will be buying her a $100 starbucks card and a car when I return from outreach to show her my appreciation. (This last paragraph is strictly the interpertation of the keyboardist and does not necessarily reflect the thoughts of Heather)

No comments: